Wednesday, January 23, 2019

My Travel Medical Kit

My Travel Medical Kit
Just a suggestion

As so many family and friends do, my sister recently sent me an article about what the well traveled person takes on any trip.  My sister said the article reminded her of me since I am well traveled. And while the article was interesting and included so many things that I pack when I travel, it was obvious that these travelers do not go to third world countries because there was nothing about what they pack in their medical kit. Actually, there was no mention of a medical kit.  So these travelers must only go to Europe where they don't have to worry about medical intervention.

Here is what I bring:

Malaria medication- i hate this medication but I think taking it is better than getting malaria.  I had a reaction to the one that gives you wild dreams.  So now I take the one that is a weekly dosage.
An antibiotic- I will usually suffer with food poisoning for three days and hope that the parasite flushes out of my system.  But if not,  then I start on an antibiotic. I prefer Cipro.
Percocet- I had surgery two years ago and of course the doctor prescribed too many pain killers to me.  I keep these just in case I am in the rain forest and fall and break my leg and have to wait three days to be rescued.
Soap- most places I travel don't supply soap so I bring several of those small soap bars with me.  I don't bring just one big one because I fear that I may forget it at one stop and then I am out of luck.
Water Purification pills- Always, always carry water pills.  You just never know when you are going to grab a bottle of water and the purity of the water has been compromised
Tylenol- 600mgs only.  I take one in the morning and one before I go to bed.
Scopace- I take this for motion sickness.  I don't use the patch; I take the pill which is a stronger dosage.
Blister bandages- I go through lots of them.
World Health Card of Immunizations- this lists all of the shots and vaccinations I have received in the last 20 years.
Throat Lozenges- this helps with dry mouth, pollution relief and, of course, a sore throat.
Vaseline- I use this for chapped lips, sores and other irritated areas.
DEET- Yes, I use DEET spray.  I bring at least two levels of concentration so that I am not poisoning myself any more than I have to. But I have seen so pretty scary bugs in my travels.

I've had to be treated a few times on my travels.  And I have had to rely on the local doctors who gave me things that I took with blind faith.  But I am here today, alive and well.  So I guess my medical kit and those doctors helped.

No comments: