Monday, December 31, 2018

Breweries 2018

Breweries 2018-   61

1- Locust Lane Brewery- PA- a nice place to spend the afternoon. This brewery has Penn State connections and I'm a Penn Stater so I am going back there.
2- McKenzie's Brewery- PA- I haven't been to this brewery for awhile.  I ran in to get a growler for a football game. I got the Route 202 Citrus Pale Ale and it was a big hit at the party.
3- Boxcar Brewery- PA- a local hangout for me. (This brewery closed its doors in March)
4- Stewart's Brewing Company- DE- IPA, Smoked Porter, Oyster Stout and Highlander Stout
5- Kennett Brewing Company- PA- good beers. The bar has a nice community feel to it.  I liked the beers and the vibes.
6- Victory Brewery- PA- I went with my nephew and we really wanted to try the porters and the stouts. So we shared a flight of porters. Then we had a flight of IPAs and then a flight of white ales. So we tried 15 of their 22 beers.  We didn't bother with the lagers and pilsners. (I've been to this brewery three times this year).
7- Iron Hill Brewery- West Chester, PA; Ardmore, PA; Wilmington, DE (I've been to these breweries six times this year).
8- Weyerbacher Brewery- PA- it gets very crowded on the weekends. But I love their beers. I had a fig beer that was excellent.
9- Earth, Bread, and Brewery- PA- they only brew four beers and I tried three of them and liked them all.
10- Chestnut Hill Brewery- PA- it was just ok. It's a nice, friendly place but the beers weren't impressive. (update- I went back here and had a citrus IPA that I really liked.)
11- Sly Fox Brewery- PA- there were 16 beer on tap.  Flights were 6 samples of 5oz beers for $12.  I had the dry stout and coffee porter and liked both of them.  The porter was available in cans to go.  I had an Imperial IPA which was my favorite.  I had a cask English ale that was good but I wouldn't order a full pint of it. I liked this place.
12- Dew Point Brewery- DE- this place is way out there on some winding country road.  But it is worth the effort to get there.  Housed in an old paper mill, the tasting room sits upstairs and offers a panoramic view of the area.  There is a large seating area outside.  There are 8 beers on draft.  I had 4 of them: the porter, a black IPA, and two other IPAs.  All of them were full of flavor.
13- Blue Bell Brewery- FL- I had a flight of four beers: a coffee porter, two IPAs and a wheat beer. I loved sitting outside in February, drinking beer.
14- Lancaster Brewing Company- PA- Milk Stout, Hop Hog IPA, Unfiltered IPA,
Blonde Stout, Barrel Aged Blonde Stout, and Winter Warmer.  All of them were very good.
15- Philadelphia Brewery- didn't like the place. Bad vibes from the waiter.  They were out of IPA and no effort was made to rectify this egregious situation.
16- Goose Island Brewery- Philadelphia- loved it. I tried Dooley, Goose IPA, Old Man Grumpy and Fulton Street B.  This was my 100th brewery.
17- Forest and Main- Ambler, PA- I had two IPAs and loved them both.
18- Conshocken Brewery- PA- lots of choices of good beers.
19- Karst Brewery- Minnesota- Coffee Porter and IPA. Great atmosphere.
20- Toppling Galiath Brewery- Iowa
21- Pulpit Rock Brewery- Iowa
22- Grumpy Trolls Brewery- Wisconsin
23- Great Danes Brewery- Wisconsin- I had an American Pale Ale that was far superior than the other beers I had a stout, an IPA and a Scotch Ale.
24- La Cabra brewery- Berwyn, PA- nope, none of the beers interested me.
25- Loose Stitch Brewery- Wilmington, DE- nice ambience, nondescript beers.
26- 2nd District Brewery- PA- There are 9 beers on tap.  The waitress bragged about Building Steam w/a Grain of Salt, a sour beer.  I don't like sours so I didn't try it. I had Bright Thoughts (IPA), True Nature (IPA) and Leland (Rye Stout).  All of them were filled with flavor.
27- Love City Brewery- PA- this is a big place so it would be fun to bring a big crowd of friends.
28- Hollow Earth Brewery- PA- the porter was described as velvety and that is exactly how I tasted this beer.
29- LeVante Brewery- PA- this brewery is really growing on me and it's in my neighborhood.
30- Midnight Oil- DE-  I had the Reilly Dry Stout, an APA, and IPA and I liked all of them.
31- Argilla Brewery- DE- I had a porter sour and couldn't finish it.  Enough said.
32- Twin Lakes Brewery- DE- OMG, I had a great time here. And  great beers.
33- Tin Lizard- PA- I've been here twice and that's probably it for me.
34- Oak Creek Brewery - AZ- there are 7 standard beers on tap and two seasonal.  The flight included a tasting of all 7 beers with 5 oz pours.  That's too much for me to drink and drive so I just had the two seasonal.  One was a porter IPA which was delicious.  The other was a Mandarin orange IPA that tasted more like an orange creamsicle. It was good but it wasn't beer hearty enough for me.
35- Anthem Brewery- MD- there are 14 beers on tap.  When I was here, there was a $5 flight special for five 5oz pours.  That was money well spent.
36- Dock Street Brewery- PA- I go here a couple of times a year and it's a fun place to spend an afternoon.
37- Bellefonte Brewery- DE- this place is hard to find but it was worth
the effort.  They have  a large variety of beers but I went with six IPAs and all of them were delicious.  The flight  pours are generous and reasonable.
38- The Post- CO- the smallest pour is 8 ozs.  So I had three and I liked all three of them.
39- Vision Quest- CO
40- Twisted Pine- CO
41- Brechenbridge Brewery- CO- Mango Pale Ale, Vanilla Porter, Nitro Vanilla Porter, Agave Wheat, IPA. I have always liked this brewery.  But the agave wheat was distasteful to me.
42--Eldo Brewery- CO- I did not like this place.
43- Riff Raff Brewery- CO- they only make six beers but the beers I had were great.  They had an Imperial Stout on tap in July which is most unusual to brew a heavy beer that time of year.
44- Soulcraft Brewery- CO- among other beers, I had a coconut Imperial Stout.  I love both of these tastes but some of these beers are to damn sweet.  But this beer was delicious.
45- Urban Village Brewery-PA- I had 4 IPAs and none of them really interested me. They serve 4 oz, 8 oz and 10 oz pours and beer prices are reasonable.
46-Wilmington Brewery Works- DE-the beers were good but it is difficult to get service.
47- Root Down Brewery- PA- I had 4 IPAs that were delicious.  There were 4 more I could have tired but I had to drive.  I'm going back here.
48- Stable 12- PA- no thanks.  I didn't like the beers.
49- Hidden River Brewery- PA- this is a fun place to visit.  It's an old, historical house and there are 6 or 7 different drinking spots within the house.  It was jam packed.  The wait staff hustled and people were enjoying themselves.  You have to wait in line to get your beer and I hate this option.  There are no flights.  Growlers are only filled on slow days. So the place is not as user friendly as I would like. I had the DIPA and the IPA and I liked the IPA better.  The DIPA had a bitter aftertaste.  I also tried the British Bitter Ale which I didn't like because there just wasn't enough taste for me.
50- Appalachian Brewery- PA- it was just Ok and, even though, this brewery is right around the corner from me, I am not sure I will go back.
51-Stolen Sun Brewing and Roasting Company- PA- Their Exton IPA is the best beer they offer.
52- Brain Brewery- Wales- Breweries are different here.  I tried a Bitter and something else.  The waiter told me three times what it was but I couldn't understand her.  Anyway, I really didn't like either one and I walked away from them rather than finish them.
52- Crafty Devil's Cellar- Wales- I had three every good beers here: Basket Case (Session IPA); Lust for Life (IPA)  and Orange Juice Blues (Pale Ale). They were all full of flavor.
53- Pipes Brewery- Wales- this brewery is nothing more than a small bar in an alleyway.  They offer six beers and people show up, rain or shine or snow or wind or heat and just sit around or stand around and have a great beer and great conversation.
54- Ludlam Brewery- NJ- I had a pumpkin ale with hints of coffee and vanilla and it was delicious.
55- Smokey Mountain Brewery- TN- No thanks.
56- Flywheel Brewery- KY- there isn't much going on in this sleepy town.  But they do have tis brewery that offers 8 different pours. A flight is 4 pours of 4 ozs for $8.  I had a Sheriff Ginger (ginger IPA), Father Chuck (a dark IPA), a NE IPA and St. Martin (stout). It's a large place that could accommodate all of your family and friends.
57- Morgantown Brewing Company- WV-  They don't sell flights.  The smallest pour is 6oz ($3).  I had a porter, a stout and an IPA and all were delicious.   They have a good happy hour deal of $3 for a  pint.  There is a full food menu and the ambience is pleasant.
58- Gearhouse Brewing Company- PA- I tried three IPAs and one Pale Ale.  All of them had a surprisingly different taste.
59- Lower Forge Brewery- NJ- No thank you.  The beers were dreadful.
60- Little Brown Jug- Winnipeg, Canada- they only brew two beers at a time. Their most popular beer, 1919, tastes like a spiced up Yuengling lager.
61- Tired Hands- PA- I don't like the vibes of this place but most people love it.



No comments: