Tuesday, August 28, 2018

High School Chemistry

Chemistry Class
Lower Merion High School
Lower Merion, PA
Six long weeks during the summer of 1971


I didn't take Chemistry during the school year because I didn't want to push myself academically that much.  But one of my classmates told me that I would never get in to any college without having taken a chemistry class.

So I asked my parents if I could go to summer school for this course.  This request annoyed my parents as they had just paid a hefty tuition fee for my 11th grade, private education.  And there was still a 12th grade tuition bill waiting to be paid. So I had to pay to take this course.

I took the course at a nearby public school.   I really struggled, academically and socially.  I wasn't up fro the rigor of the class.  And I had never been in a public school so that intimidated me.  I got a C and that was a gift.  Mr. Harkins, an Irishman, gave another Irishman an unearned grade. I think I probably earned a D at best.

And years later, when I looked at my transcript, I discovered this course never made it on my transcript.

No comments: