Saturday, June 30, 2018

Hitchhiking

Hitchhiking
Long Beach Island, NJ
Summer 1974


While we were at the beach for the summer, my mother was running back and forth to Philadelphia to tend to her dying father.  This left us without a car much of the time.  Once, there was a concern about how I would get to work and I told my mother that I would hitchhike.  I was sort of kidding but she thought I was serious and she was desperate so she told me, “OK, that’s a good idea.  And it’s safe here to hitchhike, isn’t it?”  

I told her “Yes.” But I was afraid. 

The first person to pick me up was a man, about my father’s age.  I was hesitant but I got in.  It turns out this guy was an old Navy friend of my dad’s.  They hadn't seen each other in 30 years. He came to the house a few days later to reconnect with my dad. 

To read more stories, check out:   bkmemoirs.blogspot.com


 or  bkmemoirs.wordpress.com

No comments: