Saturday, June 23, 2018

Civil Rights Museums

Civil Rights Museums
USA

Certain moments in history really intrigue me: JFK's murder, the Viet Nam War and the Civil Rights Movement.  Maybe they are all related.  But I am drawn to movies, writings, museums and discussions about these topics.  My interest in endless and I don't know why.

I was 12 when Martin Luther King was murdered.  I didn't really understand what was going on and I didn't see him as a man of honor.  I saw the media's portrayal of a man who was inciting black people to rise up and riot.  I thought he was dangerous.

Today, I am sorry he didn't live longer.  I think our world could probably have been a kinder, gentler world if he had been given the opportunity to succeed.

Here's where I've visited in the last few years"

Civil Rights Museum- Memphis, TN
I loved this museum.  I had just spent the morning at Elvis Presley's house and needed to see something with a bit more substance, a bit more importance.  Someone suggested the Civil Rights Museum. We went looking for it and couldn't find it.  Our directions kept taking us to an abandoned hotel.  It turns out this is the museum.  This is the hotel where he was murdered. The exhibits were fantastic. All of the human figures are made of cement so from a distance, you cant distinguish the different races.

Central High School- Little Rock, AR
This is a must see museum.  How did those kids have the courage to face those angry, dangerous crowds.  One  student talked about seeing a woman about her mother's age.  So she sought this woman's comfort and the woman spit on her face.  Who would spit on a child?

African American Museum- DC
This is an exhausting museum.  It is large, dense and filled with horror and shame. After 3 hours, I was finished.  I couldn't take any more.


No comments: