Thursday, June 28, 2018

1965


1965
Woodbine Avenue
Overbrook
Philadelphia, PA

My age: 9-10

School- Our Lady of Lourdes- My 5th grade teacher was the creepy Miss Coughlin. She was a terrible human being and in hindsight may have been mentally ill.  She should not have been around children as she was demented.

Music- My grandparents gave me the Beatles’ Rubber Soul Album.  I still have the album.

 There were lots of great songs this year:
  • "Wooly Bully" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs
  • "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" by Four Tops
  • "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"  by The Rolling Stones
  • "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"by The Righteous Brothers
  • "Downtown" by Petula Clark- it seemed as if every generation liked this song.
  • "Help!" by The Beatles- I couldn’t kepp up with all of the hits of the Beatles.  It seemed as if they released a song a week.
  • "Can't You Hear My Heart Beat"  by Herman's Hermits
  • "My Girl" by The Temptations
  • "Help Me, Rhonda"  by The Beach Boys- I was never a Beach Boys fan.
  • "King of the Road"  by Roger Miller
  • "The Birds and the Bees"  by Jewel Akens
  • "I Got You Babe"by Sonny & Cher-
  • "This Diamond Ring" by Gary Lewis & the Playboys - I thought this was the saddest song.
  • "The 'In' Crowd" by Ramsey Lewis Trio
  • "Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter" by Herman's Hermits- I thought this was a beautiful song.
  • "Stop! In the Name of Love"by The Supremes
  • "Unchained Melody"by The Righteous Brothers
  • "Mr. Tambourine Man"by The Byrds
  • "What's New Pussycat?"by Tom Jones- I thought he was too old for my mucials taste.
  • "Eve of Destruction"by Barry McGuire-  I don’t think I understood all of the darkness of this song.
  • "Hang On Sloopy" by The McCoys-  even as a kid, I thought this was a stupid song
  • "Ticket to Ride" by The Beatles
  • "Game of Love" by Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders
  • "The Name Game"by Shirley Ellis- the 8th grade boys always wanted to rhyme with the name “chuck”.
  • "I Know a Place" by Petula Clark
  • "Yesterday" by The Beatles
  • "Like a Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan- at this time, he was too strange for my liking. I didn’t become a Dylan fan until he release Blood on the Tracks in the mid-70”s.
  • "I'm Telling You Now" by Freddie and the Dreamers- this was a goofy, happy-go-lucky group.  They weren’t around for very long.
  • "Ferry Cross the Mersey" by Gerry and the Pacemakers- Iloved this song.
  • "I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am" by Herman's Hermits-  I remember my brother used to sing this song in the shower.
  • "Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season)" by The Byrds – I thought this song had a lot of deep, deep meaning.
  • "For Your Love" by The Yardbirds
  • "California Girls" by The Beach Boys
  • "Go Now" by The Moody Blues
  • "Down in the Boondocks"  by Billy Joe Royal
  • "Catch Us If You Can" by The Dave Clark Five
  • "Eight Days a Week" by The Beatles
  • "I'll Be Doggone" by Marvin Gaye
  • "Count Me In" by Gary Lewis & the Playboys- They didn’t have many hits but I liked this band.
  • "All Day and All of the Night" by The Kinks
  • "What the World Needs Now Is Love"  by Jackie DeShannon- I like to sing this song, even today.  When I listen to this song on the radio, I like to crank up the volume.
  • "It's Not Unusual"  by Tom Jones
  • "Get Off of My Cloud" by The Rolling Stones
  • "Wonderful World" by Herman's Hermits- When I think back to this time, there were lots of hopeful songs.
  • "Nowhere to Run"  by Martha and the Vandellas
  • "Love Potion No. 9" by The Searchers- yet another strange song.
  • "Baby Don't Go" by Sonny & Cher
  • "It Ain't Me Babe" by The Turtles
  • "Tell Her No" by The Zombies- I loved this song.
  • "It's the Same Old Song" by Four Tops
  • "I Got You (I Feel Good)" by James Brown
  • "Do You Believe in Magic" by The Lovin' Spoonful- this was a sweet song.
  • "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)"by Marvin Gaye
Movies
  • The Great Race
  • The Sound of Music- I am not sure I fully understood the political message in the movie.
  • Cat Ballou-he hell out of me. Lee Marvin's character scared t
  • Major Dundee
  • That Darn Cat
  • A Patch of Blue- This was probably th efforts serious movie I ever saw.
  • Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Books- the book mobile would come to our school yard once a week.  We had to line up and march in and keep the line moving.  That meant we often just grabbed any book that caught our eye.  Mostly at this time, I was reading Beverly Cleaver’s Ramonda series.  I was also reading some Nancy drew books.

Travels- we went to a ranch in West Virginia. We went horse back riding and hiking and sat around the camp fire at night.  It was a fun-filled vacation.

News events- The Viet Nam war took up most of the news stories this year. I also remember lots of riots in the cities. It was scary.

Family and Friends
  • My uncle was shipped off to Viet Nam for a year.  He was in the Marines. My aunt and cousins moved to NJ for the year to be closer to her family. We all spend Thanksgiving together and I remember the tension as someone said grace.  We all cried.

  • I was a girl scout.  I earned my hospitality, tree and sewing badges.  I was the top cookie seller of my trop.








No comments: