Sunday, January 28, 2018

Clean Water Every Damn Day


Clean Water
New Delhi
July 2004

I was in New Delhi when I took this photo in 2004. At this point in my travel history, I had been to lots of places that had limited water.  But this was the first time I had been to a major city and water was still scarce. Millions of people in this city do not have access to clean water. This woman was on her way to work and stopped for a drink of water.  Others were waiting their turn to fill up and be on their way.  And this spout would be tied up all day with one person after another, trying to manage with a meager amount of clean water.

 I was staying at the hotel, across the street.  My room was on the 14th floor and I had just had a warm shower and a western toilet that flushed.  But these people had nothing but this public spout of water.

When I brush my teeth, I think of this photo.  When I see water sprinkles on for hours at a time, I think of this photo. When I take a drink of water from the tap, I think of this photo. When I pass a car wash business, I think of this photo.  I am so grateful to have access to clean water every damn day of my life.

No comments: