Monday, November 27, 2017

The Homeless Shelter in GA

The Homeless Office
Atlanta, GA
March 2017

I spend the morning with my cousin who does intake interviews at an agency for homeless people.  The place is packed with people and despair. I sit and listen as she assess their needs.

Mr. White- "I come in from Detroit just last night and I'm telling you, this city is so friendly.  Everyone's been nice to me, not like in Detroit.  They just want to get rid of you."

Mrs. Green- "I come here today to get me some clothes for my family. my niece and her boyfriend have a little baby and she needs some things.  So I told them I'd get them things on account of me living with them and everything".

"What is the boyfriend's name?", my cousin asks.

"I'm really not sure.  I don't know his name.  But he the father of her child."

Billy- "it's my own fault that I'm here. I do stuff and it aint good and it's my fault. I drink a little and I try to stop but I come home from work and gets me a beer and then another and another and then my paycheck is all gone. See what I'm saying".

Aja- "They prey on you when you live on the streets, P-R-E-Y, you know what I mean when I say prey.  But I ain't no whore.  OK, sometimes I get all uppity for a snicker's bar and I'm hungry so I take what doesn't belong to me.  But I don't do none of that other illegal shit.  You know what I mean."

No comments: