Friday, September 22, 2017

Cape May Brewery

Cape May Brewery
Established 2011
New Jersey
April 2017

I got up this morning with the intention of driving to Block Island, in Rhode Island. But the weather forecast indicated three days of clouds and rain in that area.  So that was an immediate "no go.'  I was not going to drive six hours to sit in my hotel and watch the rain on the beach.

Plan B: Cape May, NJ.  This is a sweet place that always pulls me in.  There is birding and old, historical homes and beaches and seafood and an easy ride home.  So, off I go.  But I leave at 10AM and get there at noon but can't get into my hotel until 3PM.  So how do I fill my time?

The Cape May Brewery seems like a reasonable options. I arrive at noon, just as they open and go through my state mandated Brewery Tour and find myself at a seat at the bar.  I order my delicious beers and sit and listen to other conversations, one of my favorite pastimes.

Several people come in and try out the beers.  No one is here for the afternoon.  Nor are they repeat customers because this brewery is too far off the beaten path.  People have to search this place out. A pregnant woman drink the non-alcoholic ginger ale.   The woman sitting beside me is not a beer drinker and annoyed that she has to wait until her companion drinks his four samplers.  She is appalled at the quantity of beer he is consummating.  Even though he explains to her that he is only drinking a pint, she does not surrender to the thought that he is drinking four beers at a time.  She logs on to her phone and stays indifferent to his monologue about the quality of his beers. A man comes in with a kid and the little boy gets a frothy root beer.  It looks delicious. A couple come in and want to bring their dog inside but only service dogs are allowed so now the dog will wait in the car.

I sit and enjoy my beers and enjoy this moment where I can savor these beers.

No comments: