Thursday, August 31, 2017

England 1982

England
July 1982


Some moments in my life have been luckier than others.  In 1982, I was accepted in to a doctoral program at Penn State to work on a degree in Educational Leadership.  To start my program, I signed up for a summer study course in England: A Cross Cultural Analysis of Educational Systems. For six weeks, I went to a different school everyday to learn about the British educational system.  Then I had the afternoon and evenings to run free.

We spent most of our time in London and stayed at a local college dorm.  We went to plays, pubs, Wimbledon, Harrods, Speakers' Corner, The Henley Regatta and museum.  Then we made our way north to Durham and Scotland where we went to the North Sea, festivals and pub and bagpipe competitions.

My school district paid my tuition and all of my other expensive were written off my taxes because this was an educational expense. It was a great summer. Yup, some moments in life are luckier than others.

No comments: