Friday, June 23, 2017

At The Library



At The Library
Cecil County Public Libraries
Cecil county, MD

I go to the library about three times a week.  I go for two reasons: (1) I don't have Internet at my house, (2) I get to work on a clean, uncluttered surface.  I love my library.  It's just great.  As a mater of fact it was named library of the year in 2015.  So I'm not the only one who holds this opinion.

My library in the 1960s was so different. It was musty, worn out and gloomy.  There were beaten up library tables and chairs.  There was absolute silence and obsolete books.  Tired, old women patrolled the stacks and silenced all of us.  It was lifeless.

But not this library.  The CCPL is alive and well.  It is filled with people and noise and movies and audio books and computers, and and DVDs and CD and puppets and microwaves and soda machines.  People speak openly and in normal voices.  Students study together and science programs are offered and well attended.

A handful of veterans wander in to the library every day and they work on job searches.  Individuals come in here and log in to the computers so that they may participate in virtual classrooms.  Middle school kids come here because they have nowhere else to go after  school.  They are bored but at least they are surrounded by books.

Libraries today are alive with a pulse on the community. I love my library. 

No comments: