Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Worthless

Worthless
Emergency Rotating Shelter
Cecil County, MD
December 2016

It is the third day I have worked the homeless shelter this week.  Some of the guest are now talking to me a little bit about the realities of their life.  One woman tells me she was hit by a car and received a cash settlement.  She used the money to buy a car for her sister who needed reliable transportation to work.  She also paid for the sister's dental work and dentures.  She quickly went through all of her new found money.  Then she fell on hard times.  She went to her sister for some help but that door was closed on her.

Now she is homeless and still using a walker from her car accident. Mobility is an issue for her. Her son is also homeless.  They come together to the shelter each night and keep each other company.

She tells me she sees her sister every once in a while but there is no love lost between them.  Apparently, the sister's daughter is slipping away from her and may soon be on the streets as well.

"She tell Jeanine, 'Don't be no idiot like your aunt.  You going to be homeless and worthless some day'. I hear her say that and I just turned to her and said 'thank you'. I weren't goin' let her get me upset. I ain't worthless."

No comments: