Friday, March 31, 2017

On Safari- Day One



On Safari

South Africa
Day One
Tuesday, July 3, 2001

I woke up to the sound of chirping birds and assumed it had to be near day break.  Since I had no watch, I called to the lobby for the time. It wasn’t even 2AM and as I was later to discover, daybreak in the winter in Africa doesn’t come until 9:00 AM.  This darkness was disorienting to me.

There were 19 other travel companions with me from all over the world: France, Italy, Austria, Australia, and Denmark.  The language barriers might be a problem but we seem to be getting around it.  Most people speak some level of English and everyone speaks charades.

We boarded a beat-up truck, our primary mode of transportation for the next three weeks. We drove for 5 hours to a beach resort which was deserted because it is now winter.  We were going to pitch our tents right on the dunes but Matt, our guide, reconsidered this idea considering the strong winds. We moved further inland.

As we unloaded the truck, it became evident to me that not everyone stayed within their 25-pound limitation on luggage.  The Europeans were better equipped for this adventure. I spent the day obsessing on what I didn’t being with me which could have given me some comfort.  I need to spend more time thinking about what I did bring to comfort me because all I have is all I brought with me.
We went to a bird sanctuary which was closed due to the rough weather.  We saw reed coramants and cape garnets but not much more. I walked the streets near the campground and found all new songbirds I was not able to identify then but I am going to make a bigger effort to look for them tomorrow.

After the bird sanctuary, the group scattered and I found a bath tub with hot, hot water in the latrine.  While the others sought sanction from the cold and the wind in their tents, I soaked in this hot tub.
As we approached the dinner hour, our tents had to be outfitted with traps to protect us from the rain and the wind.  My corner spot by the fireplace is not so inviting right now. I liked the idea of being near the fire pit.  I am taking the brunt of the wind and we aren’t even using the pit.

We put up a canopy to protect us while we eat.  Lucas, our cook, lit a propane stove which adds a very slight element of coziness.   He was boiling two open flamed pots of water when all the sudden, a quick gust of wind blows down the entire canopy on us; we are trapped inside.  What could have been a disaster quickly turns into a moment of teamwork, everyone rapidly worked to secure the canopy.  Just as we are finished, someone announces that a tent had fallen.

“I think it is the American’s tent,” he announced in his strong German accent.


Of course, it was mine. Several people come to my rescue; the woman from Denmark suggests I move my tent.  I convey this idea to Lucas.  He responds to me.  I don’t know what he says but it is obvious to me that my tent is not going to be moved at this point.  The Danish woman and I just laugh. The wind eventually died down. Although I think it will rain through the night.  So, I anticipate a chilly, unpleasant night.

Tomorrow Matt will take us to a store to buy what we need.  I am told we may camp in an area that gets to freezing temperatures so I am going to buy more bulk, more layers.  The 25-pound limit can go to hell. I am freezing.


No comments: