Tuesday, December 27, 2016

God Bless You



God Bless You
My Personal Stance


I don't say this anymore after anyone sneezes. It's stupid.  Do you really thing God is sitting around on high alert every time someone sneezes and he stops everything to bless that person.  We have wars and poverty and famine and social injustices in abundances around the world.  God needs to focus on these issues.  She doesn't have time for sneezing issues.

And really, we need a blessing for sneezing.  I know people tell me this is the closest we come to a heart attack.  But really, really.  This stupid little meaningless gesture is going to stop a heart attack.  I don't think so. And why don't we say "God bless you" when someone actually has a heart attack.  I never hear people shouting this out at that critical moment.  I guess the fear of a heart attack is greater than a heart attack.

So I decided to take a public stand against this old, worthless tradition.  And it has proven to be quiet a challenge.  People have sneezed in front of me and I have said nothing and it appears to me as if these people are waiting and expect me to chime in, interrupt anyone who is speaking and shout out "God bless you."  I don't do that and I sometimes feel a little freeze from across the room.  I get vibes that I am thoughtless and uncaring about the well being of this total stranger who incidentally survived the sneeze.