Sunday, June 26, 2016

Hong Kong- 1994

Hong Kong

April 1994

Tonight we sail in to Hong Kong, a city of allure and conflicting identity. In 1994 it is still under British rule but will return to China in just a few months.  This city of capitalism and greed and overconsumption is going home again. But it can it go back to communism?  Or is it too successful, too worldly, too commercial?  Those are the questions on everybody’s mind as we sailed into this magnificent harbor.

But that isn’t on my mind. I have only one thought in mind. I want to take the trolley up to Victoria Hill. My mother instructed me to go there.  She and my father went there just after China re-opened its doors to Americans in the late 80’s.  My grandparents visited this spot sometime in the 60s. So now I will be the third generation to explore this site on the other side of my world.

My grandparents took a long, arduous boat ride to Asia in the 1960s.  I wonder how different this world is now. When they traveled to Hong Kong, few Americans made this trip.   They talked of their trip to Asia with such fondness that it seemed to capture my wonder lust. When my parents went to China in 1986, it was a trip of a lifetime for them. My mother nagged me for years to go to China.  She told me I would love it.  And she was right.  I did love China.  But Hong Kong was not China to me.  Hong Kong was New York City but with more Chinese restaurants.

A cable car takes me up a mountain to a circular walkway which leads me to stores and restaurants and souvenir kiosks. But more than that, it offers a 360° view of this magnificent, bustling metropolis.  It’s tall buildings, crowded streets, neon lights, sounds and smells resemble cities such as New York or London or Chicago. From time to time, I have to remind myself that I just left China and all of its poverty.

I go to a camera shop.  I dropped my camera a few days ago and now the shutter isn’t working. I don’t want an expensive camera so I ask the clerk to show me something on the low end. He reaches for a box and slams it on the counter for me to inspect.

“Do you have any others.  This one isn’t quite right,” I tell him.

“We’re busy. Tell me what you want and pay for it.  But I don’t have time to show you all of these cameras,” he tells me with a tone of annoyance.

I look around.  There isn’t another customer in the store. Two other clerks are standing, staring in to space. But this clerk is put-out by my urge to do some comparative shopping. It is right then and there that I decide to leave his shop, without a new camera.  But I commit to come back in a few years to see how Hong Kong fairs under Chinese rule.