Thursday, April 28, 2016

More Thoughts on Tibet

More Thoughts On Tibet

 July 1999

I traveled through Tibet for three weeks.  Here are my thoughts:


  • ·      I am never traveling to a Chinese government country again. I don’t like the negative influence the government has on the Tibetan people. They are treated as second class citizens.

  • ·      Kathmandu reminds me of an Asian Amsterdam. it’s tolerant of different religions and ideas.  There are lots of old hippies walking around and lots of people living on the fringe. And the coffee shops were a welcomed perk.

  • ·      The Potula reminds me of Graceland. it’s become more of a tourist site more than a religious site.
  • ·      The Tibetans seem content with life. I wonder what they worry about.

  • ·      I don’t do well with high attitudes.  I need to spend time at sea level. Being above 18,000 feet is hard on my breathing.  And it turns my fingernails blue.

  • ·      I don’t think the Dalai Lama can ever return to Lhasa. The city has moved away from that era when he was here so many years ago.

  • ·      I’m not going to eat pig’s ears for a long ever again.  They are two dreadful food choices.

  • ·      I am not any closer to understanding why some people have a sense of spirituality and others don’t have any. if you question too much does a whole thought concept become absurd? if you question too much are you just uncovering too many inconsistencies in thoughts and practices?

  • ·      When they work in the fields or on the roads, the Tibetans sing together. I wish we saying more at work. Maybe we would get along better.

To read more stories, check out:   bkmemoirs.blogspot.com


 or  bkmemoirs.wordpress.com