Thursday, March 24, 2016

Things My Father Said

Things My Father Said


James McGirr Kelly
March 24, 1928- March 5, 2005
Philadellphia, PA
Lawyer, Adjunct Professor, Public Utilities Commissioner, Federal Judge


“When you go in to a bar with your friends, always buy the first round of drinks.  No one remembers who bought any of the other rounds, but everyone remembers who bought the first round.  After that, you wont have to buy any more.”

“Marriage is the most unrealistic moment of optimist.  Really, who can ever commit to death do we part? That’s a tall order”.

“Nobody ever died from hard work.”

"May I offer a suggestion." (This was never really a question but rather an introduction to his unsolicited suggestion that was given regardless of how the question was answered.

“Listen pal, don’t start believing your own bullshit.”

“Democrats are ruining our country.”

“Danny DeVito is the most optimist guy in the world.  Don’t you think so? Just look at him. He’s short and ugly, no hair and yet he thought he could be a big Hollywood star and he did become one.  That guy is a dreamer”.

“Nothing good happens after midnight.”

“Everyone should go to the Mardi Gras at least once.”

“Never lie to yourself.”

“What have you done today to justify your existence today?”

“Love one another.”

“They don’t make music any more like they did in my day.”

“You have to start saving!  What are you waiting for?”- his response to me when I confessed to him that I had not yet started a retirement account because I was only 22 years old.

“Life isn’t fair?  You think life is fair?  Let me take you to North Philadelphia and let’s go talk to some young black woman who has three kids and no husband and never finished high school.  Now that isn’t fair.”

“When you get your paycheck, pay yourself first.  Always put something away.”

“I like going to Mass. It makes me feel good.”

“Where’s Mom?”

“What time will you be home?”

“What’s for dinner?”

“Turn these damn lights off. Why does everyone leave every damn light on in the house?”

“Hold on, here’s Mom.”- his immediate response whenever he answered the phone