Monday, August 3, 2015

Self Sufficient


Self Sufficient



She stands by the soda fountain machine.  Her cart is full of groceries. She holds on to her two-year-old son, sitting impatiently in the front seat on the food cart.  Her four year old break away from her grip.

“Go ahead. You go ahead of us" , she tells me, resigned to a battle with her daughter.

“No,” I tell her, “you go ahead and let me know how I can help you.  Can I get a drink for your daughter?”

“No, Caroline is quiet self-sufficient and she doesn’t like help”, she responds with a tone of exhaustion.
.
“Well, self sufficiency is a great quality to have”, I tell her, hoping to offer my support to both of them.


“Yes it is, and I am sure that some day in the future I will appreciate this self sufficiency of hers” she says as Caroline charges up to the fountain and over-pours a beverage which spills on her dress and the floor.  I quickly get out of the way.

No comments: