Friday, July 31, 2015

Rejecting Cornell


Rejecting Cornell
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY
1982

I just completed my first year as a guidance counselor, one year after I finished my Master’s degree from Penn State University.  I was 27.  The year was very successful for me and I was given a leadership position within the first month of this new job.  Now my supervisors were suggesting that I start a doctoral program in educational leadership.  Since both my undergraduate and my graduate degrees were from Penn State, I decided to look at a different university.  I loved Penn State but I thought a new university would push me just a little bit more as I would be out of my comfort zone.

I looked at Cornell University and liked the program so I applied with the hopes of starting as soon as possible.  I completed the application and made the first round of cuts.  I was invited to visit campus and meet with one of the professors.

I took the three-hour trip and roamed campus and town and thought I could really step into this pleasant world.  I met with a professor who immediately became a bit antagonistic about my Penn State background.

“Don’t think you care going to come up here for five summers and whip through these courses and then write some dissertation off site.  We aren’t Penn State.  We are very serious about academics here.  We expect you to do at least a full year residency and we prefer that you do the entire program on a full time basis.  We might let you come up for a summer or two but that’s it.”

He followed his opening statement by putting his sandaled feet up on his desk.  He opened a drawer and pulled out toenail clippers and began to clip away at his toes.  Nail clipping soared though the air.

“We are very academic here”, he reinforced one more time as he strained to cut his last toenail.


The interview didn’t last much longer after that and I left with one thought in mind: I am never coming back here to take classes with this arrogant man.  I went home and filled out my application to Penn State.

No comments: