Thursday, May 28, 2015

Thanks But No Thanks


Haiti Family Initiative
Wellness Program
Jacmel, Haiti
Summer 2013


Friday, August 2, 2013- one of the young doctors joins me this morning as I wander across the street to feed my old lady friend.  I usually bring her a banana and juice in the morning then, around noon, I bring her a bowl of rice, beans and sardines.  The woman acknowledges me now.  She smiles and thanks me in her meek, native Creole every day.

The doctor stays for a short period of time and then quickly leaves. So I spent a few minutes, just sitting  with the old woman.  Although we don't understand each other, I still enjoy her company.  She smiles and hums as she eats her breakfast.  I stare in amazement that this 86 year old woman lives alone in this tiny structure. And I worry about who will feed here when I leave Haiti in two weeks.

Suddenly, a neighbor appears at the doorway. He approaches me abruptly and speaks angrily to me.  A translator intervenes and conveys this man’s disgust at the doctor for taking a photo of the woman.

I didn’t understand why the man is so angry until I notice that the old lady is sitting in a position that exposes all of her genitals.  The man is right and we were definitely wrong.  I assure him that the photo would be erased.  Then I leave because it is obvious that I am no longer welcomed here.

And when I returned at noon with a bowl of rice, I found the old lady already eating a bowl of rice, lager than what I was offering.  What a relief it is for me to receive their message of, “Thanks; but no thanks.  We will now take care of our own from now on.”