Sunday, January 19, 2014

Till Our Last Breath


Till Our Last Breath

Bryn Mawr, Pa
May, 1998


My mother was dying of cancer.  She probably only weighed 85 pounds. We all knew we didn’t have much time left, maybe a couple of days but no more than a week.  And so we spent our days around her bed, telling stories, remembering family moments and trying to suck in every last opportunity to say what we had to say before it was too late.

We were approaching Mother’s Day.  So there were lots of cards from my father, siblings, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, neighbors and a lifetime of friends. These lifelong friends were coming and going to say their goodbyes to my mother.  Sometimes there would be three or four of them.  Some were feeble and there were not enough seats for them.  And as they left the room, I realized that not only were many of these old friends saying goodbye to her, it was probably the last time I would see then as well.  So I wanted to take care of them.

I brought in a few chairs from the other room.  And then I added a card table or two for their drinks. And I added a box of tissues.  It was a little junky looking, but now people could now visit in some comfort.

“Get all this junk out of here”, my mother said demandingly.

“What,” I said, just as I was positioning myself squarely in one of the seats I had just brought in.

“The room looks like a lobby.  I don’t like the feng shui. Get all this furniture out of here.”

I tried to explain to her that I didn’t put it all here for appearance.  Her visitors needed a place to sit.  And “besides”, I told her, “You have bigger issues right now than the feng shui of your bedroom.”  I reminded her that she was dying.

“I don’t care; I don’t like it. It’s my room. Get this stuff out of my bedroom.”

This woman could exhaust me.  So I leaned forward, looked right at her and asked, “When are you going to stop bossing me around.”  And then I sat back in my chair.

She got up on her boney elbows, using all the strength she could muster in her sick condition.  She looked right at me and as clear and as confident as she was in her prime, she said to me, “When am I going to stop bossing you around?  I’ll tell you when.  When the first one of us takes her last breathe.”  And then she lay down again, smugly and proud of her comeback.

I got up, laughed, and moved the furniture back to the other room.