Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Old Barney- LBI



Old Barney- LBI

Barnaget Lighthouse
Long Beach Island, NJ
October 2016

I didn't want to climb to the top.  I have arthritis in my knees and while the trip up would be hard on my heart, the trip down would beat the hell out of my knees.  It is 271 steps up and 271 steps down.  But my friend is visiting from Germany and has never climbed a lighthouse. She will climb it by herself if she has to, but she is clearly disappointed.  So I suck it up and begin to climb.  There is a landing every 40 steps and a bit of information is posted at each landing.  I feign great interest in each posting and use this time to rest, breathe and talk myself in to continuing the climb.

We reach the top and it is beautiful.  I can see for miles.  The wind rips though us and offered relief from my sweating. The air is crisp. And everyone who makes it to the top is pleased with themselves, myself included.