Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Darwin, Australia

Darwin, Australia

March 2015

On this last day in March, International Women's Month, I am drawn to this photo of two Aboriginals sleeping on the streets of Darwin, Australia. When I was in Darwin last month, I mentioned to a young waitress that I wanted to see how the Aboriginals lived. She laughed at me and said, "Just go out on the streets and you will see how they live." And she was right.


A few days later I am talking for a woman from Sydney.  She is a dentist who travels to different schools in the country.  Right now, she is spending a month in Alice Springs, offering services to aboriginal kids.  “They are very different. They have a different concept about money.  It isn’t important to them.” She tells me.  

“What is important to them?” I want to know.

“Their families and being together and being outdoors. They love to be outdoors”, she nods her head as she replies.

That statement answers my questions I have had since I arrived in Darwin.  In Darwin and now in Alice Springs, I have only seen them in packs of people, of all ages, gathered outside on the streets and in parks, just sitting and chatting with each other.




No comments: