Thursday, January 29, 2015

Save the Ovaries

The doctor found something on my sister’s uterus so a hysterectomy is schedule.  We sit at the table and plan for the long recovery.  My sister, a nurse, is calm in the delivery of all her concerns.

“I’m optimistic that they are going to be able to save my ovaries”, she tells us.  “And if not both, I would be ok with just one”.

“Why?” her husband wants to know.

“Well, the recovery will be so much easier because the surgery isn’t as extensive and the long-term effects will be simpler”.  She starts with her medical talk about ovaries and estrogen and hormones and mood swings and hot flashes. 


Bill interrupts her mid-sentence.  “Wait, wait”, he flashes his hand in front of her face to silence her.  “Just tell me one thing; it isn’t going to get worse around here, is it.  That’s all I need to know.”

No comments: