Sunday, May 26, 2024

Dear Jameson

2016



 Dear Jameson,

 

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

 

I went to visit your family last weekend and I have to tell you, it was so quiet without you.  I spent the entire weekend just waiting for you, waiting to hear your voice.  But your parents filled me in on every detail of their visit so I am all caught up on your business.

 

It sounds as if things are going well for you.  I’ve been thinking about your moment in the gas chambers.  When I was 26, I went to Parrish Island to watch marines in boot camp.  It was hard just to watch kids go through the chambers.  I can’t imagine how hard it must have been to actually do that.

 

Clay and I are going to Alaska in February.  I booked our flight last week.  We are going to watch the beginning of the Iditarod Race in Anchorage.  I also hope to do some dogsledding, ice fishing, curling and watching the Northern Lights.  We will make a quick stop in Seattle on the way out and grab a visit with Heather and Steve.  Then it’s off to Alaska where it should be cold, dark and fun.

 

Gus still doesn’t want to travel with me.  But I told him if you get stationed in Germany, I would take him over to see you.  That seemed to interest him.  I also heard that Hawaii may be an option and I would love to go to Hawaii.  Keep me posted.

 

I am off to Puerto Rico tomorrow for a few days.  I’m just going to sit on the beach, read, drink beer and snorkel when I can.

 

Since I last saw you, I’ve traveled a lot.  I went to Colorado (twice), Vermont (twice), Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Long Beach Island (four times), DC, Georgia, and NY.  I’m looking at a trip to Burma.  That will be an ambitious trip so I have to do some real planning.

 

I had Thanksgiving dinner with the Anderkos.  I was in charge of desserts so I brought three pies.  Too bad, you weren’t here, we had plenty of extra food.  I hope you were allowed to eat for more than 10 minutes for your Thanksgiving dinner.  If not, you will just have to catch up when you get home next month.

 

Your parents were taking about how they will get you back to base on the 27th.  I offered to drive you if necessary.  I think it will take 12 hours and we could split the driving and then I could just take my time on the way home.  Keep that offer in mind.

 

When we get together again, I want to talk to you about the guys who quit training.  I didn’t think that was allowable.  Do they get court-marshalled?  Do they get a dishonorable discharge?  I never heard of that.  I know there are some soldiers who are dismissed because the military do not think they are fit for service.  But I didn’t know a kid could just quit.  Personally, I could never make it through that training.

 

Hang in there.  Basic training is almost over and you can make it.  I’m happy to hear that you have already established yourself as a leader.  You have the brains and the temperament to lead so I am glad to see others recognize this talent in you. I’m, proud of you for following your dream.

 

See you soon.

 

 

 

No comments: