Subject: Recognition for Exceptional Delta Employee Mamie Johnson (Employee #743017)
On July 10, I was traveling alone through Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, waiting to catch a Delta flight to Bogotá, Colombia. Before my flight, I fell and suffered a broken shoulder. I was taken by ambulance to a local trauma center. After I was stabilized, I was discharged with no real plan for what to do next. At that point, I had only one goal: to get home to Philadelphia.
I took an Uber back to the airport, frightened, exhausted, in severe pain, and completely overwhelmed. I had no idea what had happened to the luggage I had checked that morning, and I didn't have a ticket to get anywhere. I simply didn't know what to do.
As I approached the Delta counter, I noticed Mamie Johnson (Employee #743017) assisting passengers with their luggage tags. I interrupted her and asked if she could tell me where I might find someone who could help me.
She took one look at me and immediately said, "Follow me." She called for a wheelchair, secured my backpack to it, and, before I knew it, had arranged a ticket for me on a 7:00 p.m. flight home. She personally wheeled me to the lost baggage office, where we learned my luggage couldn't be located at that time. She made sure I was reassured that it would be sent to Philadelphia the following day.
Mamie then took me to the wheelchair services office and personally found someone to escort me all the way to my departure gate. Before leaving, she came over to wish me well. I tried to offer her a tip as a small token of my appreciation.
She looked me in the eye and said something I will never forget: "I didn't do all this because I wanted a tip. You needed help. That's what we're supposed to do. We help one another."
Those words brought tears to my eyes.
I told her she could never fully understand how grateful I was. At that moment, I was physically injured, emotionally shaken, and utterly exhausted. I truly needed someone to help me, and Mamie stepped forward without hesitation.
She went far beyond what anyone would expect, not just from an airline employee, but even from many friends. Yet I was a complete stranger, and she treated me with extraordinary kindness, compassion, and dignity.
In a world where people often rush past one another, Mamie reminded me of the very best of humanity. She represents everything Delta should be proud of: professionalism, empathy, and genuine care for others.
I will never forget her kindness, and I will be forever grateful for the care she gave me on one of the most difficult days of my life.
Please extend my deepest thanks to Mamie Johnson and recognize her for the remarkable difference she made. Employees like her don't just represent Delta, they elevate it.
No comments:
Post a Comment