Sunday, September 24, 2023

Road trip 2023 #12

Road Trip 2023 #12

Long Beach Island, NJ

August 24, 2023


This was one of our regular  high school event.  I get together with my HS classmates about three or four times a year.

Six high school classmates joined me for a day at the beach.

We spent the day at Jane's house on Long Beach Island, NJ. This is the second time that she has hosted us.

I had to get up at 7 AM and be on the road by 8 AM to meet Kathi and Marianne at 9AM.  I was cranky.  I am not used to getting up that early.

We made a wrong turn and lost about 20 minutes of travel time and I was annoyed with myself. I should have paid more attention.

Dottie showed up with old yearbooks and newspapers that she found in her attic.  She and her husband are moving out of their house of 35 years.

A township worker came by with his John Deere ATV and drove Kathi up and over the high beaches.  She would not have been able to climb those dunes on her own.

The afternoon started out warm and lovely.  Then the wind kicked up and I was so damn cold. I had to put on a light jacket and then I dropped myself in two cotton wraps.  I was cold.

Too much of our conversation centered around our old lady ailments. That seems to be much of our conversations this days.

It was an effort to find a place for dinner as every restaurant was crowded and we couldn't make a reservation.  We ended up at the Delaware Street Oyster house.  I had a very expensive scallop dish that was delicious but I am not sure it was worth $37.  Then I ordered two beers which were $9 each and my tip was $11. So this casual dinner cost $70. Ouch

No comments: